Sunday, January 18, 2009

Fire Sale


Hi All, Just a quick entry as it's a gorgeous day outside and I'm in the middle of stripping the paint of an old wooden clothes rack - aiming to recreate the provincial look! Anyway, I wanted to put the end to this book, which I've been very slow to finish. I have been so distracted by Murakami's books, and Audrey's story, that this detective story took the back seat over Christmas. Sarah Paretsky's Fire Sale is finished now. I'm not going to spend too much time reviewing it. It's about a female detective, a rich family, a poor community, and the rich controlling the local factory and supermarkets with little respect for those who need the work locally. I liked the plot, but the story took too long to unfold and there was too much detail in it for me.

Life is a little busy at present, so I promise to do my final Japanese Literature Challenge 2 review next week, plus I was recently awarded the PRIMO DARDOS award out of appreciation of the merits - culturally, literary and individually - of every blogger who expresses him/herself on his/her blog. I will devote an entry to this next week also. Thanks Dolce Bellezza!

Now my quote to ponder: from Lao Tzu
At the center of your being you have the answer,
you know who you are and you know what you want.

3 comments:

Karen said...

Congratulations on your award! I picked up a new crime book on the weekend by Donna Leon - all her books are set in Italy. Have you read any of hers?

Tamara said...

Karen, Ho I haven't read any yet, but I do like a female crime writer. I'm currently reading Q&A, the Indian quiz show novel - thanks for the loan. Maybe I'll borrow the Leon book after that.

Karen said...

No worries! Are you enjoying Q&A? There is a movie out just now that is based on it.