Saturday, January 24, 2009

Balmain & Camille


Friday Fun - Yesterday I took 1/2 day off work and caught the train to Sydney, then caught the ferry to Sydney's historical harbourside suburb Balmain. I wandered through the streets of sand stone cottages interspersed with modern architecture proudly contrasting the colonial era of the past. I meandered through trendy bookshops (oh oh), vintage clothing and designer label shops and had a lazy afternoon reading in a shady cafe courtyard. After enjoying my self thoroughly, I caught the ferry back to the city where I met my man for a champaigne and canapes prior to going to the Camille concert as part of the sydney festival.

Camille, French and tres entertaining, was energetic, ephervessant, creative and cosmo in every sense. While her style is probably a little avant guard for my everyday listening, I really liked what her band and she were able to do with voice, rope, sticky tape, wabble board and microphones.

Really was a great day out for me, ending with a few drinks and dessert at an inner city bar before my very capable partner drove the 2 hours home.

oh yeh - bookshop purchases included 2 for my 'lost in translation' challenge - H Murakami's 'Kafka on the Shore' (Japanese) and Slavenka Drakulic's 'Freda's Bed' (Croatian).

1 comment:

Karen said...

I love Camille! I have her CD's if you would like to borrow?