Harvesting: Banana's, Cucumbers, Beans, Spinach,
Basil, Parsley, Lettuce, Raddishes & Celeriac
After, what seems like a chaotic start to the year, I'm finally seeing some of the fruits of my labours. I made a new years commitment to developing and maintaining a food producing garden. This is quite a challenge given I stay in the city for 4 nights of the week... but the small segments of time I've been able to put into the garden since it's renovations at Christmas appear to be adding up.
I'm really happy with the produce I'm getting out of it now - and even happier that, when I'm away, my man can find his way round the garden to find his salad and veggies.
So far this weekend I've
- baked banana bread
- made a spinach and basil pesto
- made a quinoa and cucumber salad
- cooked a bean and tomato casserole for the freezer.
- School Reunion or not? It's not that I'm thinking about organising it, it's that someone is organising it and I'm wondering if I'll make the interstate trip to go? This is doing my head in! the school photo's and names list are bringing back all the emotions of a 16 yr old girl. Of course I want to go to see what everyone turned out like, but I don't know if I'm that interested? Then, caught up in all that, is the question did I turn out any different to what they would think? Is it about comparing yourself against your peers - again? or is it a general interest in people who travelled a similar journey at some stage of our life? Would you go?
- Pay off the mortgage or travel or volunteer? at the beginning of this year I promised my man that I would stay in Australia for the year - no OS travel - yet the desire to spend some time volunteering this year is stirring in me. So do I find somewhere I can volunteer in Australia for a few weeks or wait for another year? staying put is difficult for me...
- The simple life - have i really made changes in the way I think and act? this year I was hoping to pursue more intentionally, a simple life - so that others may simply live. So far I think my life's just getting more complicated - my weekends are precious, but I keep booking them up with activities - like next weekend I'm going to Canberra to join in the Amy Gillet Foundation Community Bike Ride (110kms). I do enjoy cycling, and Canberra's a lovely place to cycle round. I enjoy the friends I do this with, and the achievement of completing such an event. I know cycling is good for my long term health, and socialising is an important part of an intentional life... but why do i feel so stressed.
- Declutter your thoughts - So here's what I came to.... I was reading this great blog post about decluttering your thoughts. Brooke encouraged me to think through some of the big issues and my opions. She referred to someone who said we should be able to state our position on things in less than 8 words. Some of her points were lovely
- Travel is food for the soul. Take kids.
- Gardening is an incredible pleasure, try it.
- We are privileged, make it count for something.
- Some of mine would be
- Something is better than nothing (exercise, giving, sleeping/resting, listening etc)
- Be genuine
- Life can be tough - take care of yourself
PS. updates on exploring ethical chocolate to come soon
and - I've updated my 'books read' tab for 2013 and was pleased with self - most read in a year since 2009!