Saturday, July 3, 2021

Book: Paris Sydnrome

As I was getting in the mood for Paris in July, I wanted a light, easy and fun read.. and I found it! Written by an Australian author, Lisa Walker, Paris Syndrome is a fun, quirky and delightfully filled with lots of references to the things we all love about Paris. 

One of my favourite movies of all time is Sabrina, with Audrey Hepburn playing the Chauffeurs daughter . The premise of the movie is based on the myth that we all hope is true, that when in Paris, you will find your true self, you'll find true love, and you'll be blissfully happy..... 

Have you heard about the Paris syndrome before? its a phenomenon that rose to popular commentary about 10 years ago I think. "Paris Syndrome is a psychological condition experienced almost exclusively by Japanese tourists who are disappointed when the city of lights does not live up to their romantic expectations." (ref

This novel, Paris Syndrome, set in Brisbane, Australia, is a story of a young women with an obsession of all things Paris, and with travelling to Paris when she's old enough to with her best friend. However, this story is not not your typical young adult love story. There are as many twists in the plot as there are on the Seine... 

One of the quotes I found..... highlighting the infusion of a Paris obsession with the high emotions of young love.... 
Once on board I calm down. I sit out the front of the ferry and my mind roams. Here I am on my way to meet a handsome Frenchman at a French food festival . . . A gentle accordion plays in the background. My hair has transformed into an elfin bob and a playful breeze lifts the skirt of my chic but quirky dress that could only have been bought in a cobbled lane off the Boulevard Saint-Germain. As I arrive Alex is standing beside the river holding a handful of freshly picked poppies .

by the end of the novel, I'm totally in love with this Quirky young lady, her friends, and her joie de vivre! 

 

9 comments:

Mel u said...

I like The sound of this very much, The quote was very good.

Mae Travels said...

YES! There are two cities of Paris as you show. One is a real city where people lead everyday lives (some of them not at all glamorous). An expensive and tiring city with lots of work to do and lots of reality -- even hard reality about things like fashion shows and working as a museum guard or a policeman or a shop clerk. The second Paris lives in imagination, which you so well illustrate here. Sometimes it seems as if there are far more books about the second city than about the first.

best... mae at maefood.blogspot.com

Nadia said...

This sounds like such a delightful read. I'm definitely adding it to my TBR list. What a great book for Paris in July!

Marg said...

I have read a couple of books by this author, but I hadn't heard of this one. Sounds like a perfect Paris in July read.

Jeanie said...

I think I'd enjoy this. Most of us only see tourist Paris. But if you know someone who lives there, you can get a bit of a broader view. This really sounds good.

stacybuckeye said...

I love quirky books like this!

Deb Nance at Readerbuzz said...

This sounds fresh and delightful.

Lisbeth said...

Haven't heard of this but sounds fun. I think that we often have such high expectations of favourite places, that when we finally arrive there, it becomes a little bit of a disappointment. Maybe that is why we all love Paris in July? We can keep our illusions about how wonderful Paris is.
I wanted to go there for a longer time, maybe rent a flat for a month. That would give me time to just walk around and smell Paris and feel the atmosphere. However, corona came in between, but it is still there for later on.

David James said...

Apna Showroom Baby Girls' Plastic Hair Clutcher Clips Claw Combo-35 Pieces (Multicolour, Small apsw_hairclipband for girls)
hair clutcher for women hair clips for women clutcher for women or girls claw clips hair clips for baby girls
Tic tac hair clip for girls women ladies combo pack | Long Black | Metal | 3 Designs 18 Piece | Apna_Showroomwith desent look
tik tak hair clips pins for women girls hair clips for women girls woman baby girls school office hair tiktak chimti tictac hair pin tic tac tiktak saree pins blousepin