Sunday, May 23, 2010

Things I love...


After struggling for some time (most of this year) to find inspiration for reading, had a lovely time visiting one of our local independent bookshops this week. I've come home with three new books - each covering off one of my passions.

FRENCH ESSENCE - by Vicki Archer, is a gorgeous picture book of all things lovely about french life. Here are just some of the pictures that I fell in love with...






I also picked up a copy of Muriel Barbery's 'The Gourmet'. Last year I read 'The Elegance of the Hedgehog' during the 'Lost in Translation' challenge. Paris Match has said this novel is 'An ode to the pleasure of good food... mouth watering from beginning to end'. Who couldn't love that. It's also been reported to be 'totally French yet completely universal'. So I'm looking forward to getting to pick this up.. in the meantime the cover is lovely to look at.


My last purchase was Cate Kennedy's 'The World Beneath'. This is an Australian novel, covering one of the most significant environmental moments in Australia's recent years - the Franklin Blockade. It's the story of a couple, who met at through the Blockade, and their daughter. This story reflects my life, as I am the daughter of such Hippies, lobbyists and world changers... I'm really enjoying this story. The author has captured me through her characters, but also in the moment in time the story unfolds in.

My next shopping trip will have a focus on Japanese Literature, as Dolce Belleza has brought the Japanese Literature Challenge 4 forward to commence in June.... Yeh!!!

Finally, I fell in love with this beautiful card... Thought about sending to a friend, but haven't yet let go of it...

It says....
Forget not that the earth delights to feel your bare feet ad the winds long to play with your hair....... go out to play!

1 comment:

Karen said...

What a great trip to the book shop! I think I have another one of Vicki Archer's books about France... I'm glad you are liking Cate Kennedy's book too.