Monday, July 16, 2018

Simple French Recipes - Paris in July

For Paris in July, I like to set myself some new cooking challenges. This week I've been struck down with a head cold, and complicated cooking was not going to happen. But I found these simple every day recipes to try. I'm pretty happy with the outcomes. 

Farmers Cheese

I used this recipe from The Spruce Eats, and had no problems. It's so simple. Just three ingredients, 15 mins preparation, and the finished product was quite tasty and good as a cheese plate cheese, salad cheese, or to drop into a hot soup. I flavoured mine with a sprinkling of cumin for something different. 



Almond and blueberry galette

Another very simple recipe which I adapted  with gluten free flour, this has lasted in our house only 24 hours... highly recommend it. If you search for more about the Galette in french, you'll find it means flat cake - but in Brittany, it's more like a pancake. Yet the most famous Galette is La Galette des Rois - which is served to celebrate the Epiphany on Jan 6th. David Lebovitz (famed French Food Blogger) notes this 
There are two kinds of Kings Cakes in France; one is layers of puff pastry filled with almond cream, and the other is a circular yeasted cake, more popular in the south of France, festooned with colorful, sticky candied fruit.

My third recipe is going to become one of my go to favourites - it was delicious! So remember that I'm sick, I dont want complicated recipes or complicated flavours right now - so for Bastille Day, or La Fete Nationale, or Le Quatorze Juillet - this is what we had for our dinner... 

Galettes with ham and eggs

From one of my other favourite foodies, Luke Nguyen, I was attracted to this recipe. He notes that - a galette is basically a savoury crepe. They are traditionally served with ham and eggs, however you can fill them with anything you like. Although it may seem quite easy to make a crepe, there is great skill to it, so you may need a few goes to get the thinness of the crepe right. Unfortunately, mine didn't turn out as crepes, more like pancakes - but so tasty!

I had fun with each of these simple french recipes.... good luck with finding ones you like. 

4 comments:

Mae Travels said...

Your recipes are pretty ambitious for a sick person!

Galettes are always a good French choice. I wrote about galettes for Paris in July a few years ago here:

https://maefood.blogspot.com/2014/07/pomiane-in-montmartre.html

Get well soon... mae at maefood.blogspot.com

Jeanie said...

Are you sure you're sick? As Mae said, they look pretty ambitious! And also delicious. I've never made a galette before. Now I may have to try.

I hope every day you are feeling better and better. So enjoying Paris in July this year!

Lisbeth said...

What an achievement when feeling sick. Looks like great recipies.

Deb Nance at Readerbuzz said...

I'm sorry you aren't feeling well. I hate to do anything when I am sick, so kudos to you for cooking at all. You say these are simple, but they look quite fancy to me.