I have finally enjoyed a good book this year. Many thanks to Karen at Bookbath for recommending this one (see her review here). You can also see reviews at Readings and the ABC Book Show. According to Scribe Publications, this books was also
- Winner of the People's Choice Award for the NSW Premier’s Literary Awards 2010
- Shortlisted for the NSW Premier’s Literary Awards 2010 Christina Stead Prize for Fiction
- Shortlisted for the Barbara Jefferis Award 2010
- Shortlisted for the ALS Gold Medal for outstanding literary work
- Shortlisted for the 2010 Australian Book Industry Awards Literary Fiction Book of the Year
Needless to say, I related to some of the experiences of the character, Sophie. I also loved the Australian history and geography represented in this novel. If you've never visited Australia, or Tasmania, this is a great book to read for the visual descriptions of the bush. I got sucked right in to this storyline - although I just couldn't stand Sandy - self centred and self absorbed. I did, however like Sandy's friends, and the way to author depicted the bohemian life Sandy had created for herself.
A good read, historically and geographically, and a interesting analysis of family life affected by the choices individuals make along the way.