Sunday, August 1, 2021

Paris in July - 2021 Wrap Up - une promenade magnifique avec mes amis

 Une promenade  magnifique avec mes amis

Paris in July 2021 was not really on my radar until some special blogging friends of mine started asking about, some of whom may have been begging for the experience... I was not certain I could offer much commitment to hosting the event this year - but so, so glad I was convinced 2021 was the right year to make it happen again. I really have loved, as many of you have commented, the diversity and breadth of the contributions offered this year. I have popped in from time to time to see that some people have been prolific in their posts, others regular in their own way, and some found time for just one post - but all have shared our love and passion for the nuances that Paris offers - in literature, art, film, history, food and memories. It truly has felt like I've been walking with my friends through Paris and beyond. Who could ask for anything better to do when in lockdown? 

I regret that I have not had time to dig into a few good books, or post on some of my memories, or watch more French films, or prepare a French meal or drink more French wine during July. Life has the tendency to throw curve balls when you least expect it. But to my advantage, as I was supporting a girl friend with breast cancer, or working too hard on a report for the boss, or supporting my partner with house renovations, and updating my 12 year old laptop...... I have had a little place to go to in my morning peace and meditations - Paris, has been a delightful escape. Thank you to you all for joining in and sharing so much. 

I have one little memory I want to share with you now. Tour de France, 2011. This was the 10th anniversary of our chance to travel alongside the Tour and to be an Australian on the Champs Elysees the day an Australian won the Tour de France. I have so many wonderful memories of that trip, of wearing an Australian flag on the Champs Elyees, of riding my bike up Alpe d'huez and Mt Ventoux (at my own pace), and staying in the same hotels as cycling teams from around the world, and mingling with the faces and voices of the Tour that we've watched on TV for years. 

Amongst some favourite memories, was the fun and excitement of standing in little villages with the locals, waiting for the Carnival Parade to come through before the race and riders did. Adults and children alike, screaming for the treats to be thrown towards us, and reaching across the barriers to gather the goodies.... 
Some of the floats and displays had global connection for kids and adults alike, while others were uniquely French ( or particularly not Australian!)....
And those French specific floats, introduced us to sweets and treats we would become addicted to and search for when we got home.... 10 years ago Haribo weren't in Australia, but now we see them more and more... 

So, as Paris in July the annual blogging event closes out, I want to thank you so much for being a part of the great parade, the Carnival, and the show. When time opens up for me, my TBR list is now thoroughly spiced with wonderful French and Paris themed books, and my appetite for more French food, wine and cheese has been enlivened, and my dreams of getting back to Paris has been ignited. So many wonderful new things on my travel list now - thank you.  Here's my 2011 Tour de France memory, and one of the highlights for 2021 ... 


And here's to one of the best Aussies in 2021 Tour de France - Ben O'Connor, came fourth overall, and won his own stage.... 


7 comments:

NancyElin said...

OMG I ALSO...

rode my bike up Alpe d'huez (at my own pace)
26th May 2011 !!
I will NEVER forget the experience...ever!
I conquered all my fears and just kept pedaling
...with cramp in my calf just one corner from reaching the
finish line.
The finish line looked so far away!

Mel u said...

Thanks so much for once again hosting thid wonderful event. I found a whole new Reading area, Russian Émirgé writers in Paris.that i Will be Readung in for a long time. I met sime erudite fellow book bloggers, vicariously enjoyed some wonderful dinners.

Here is hoping to see ever one next year.

Tamara said...

N@ncy and Mel U.... always fun to share the event with you all.. and agree . Its nice to meet new friends who like Paris too..

Jeanie said...

I really enjoyed Paris in July this year and hope you can do this again next year. And thanks for sharing this. As you know, I'm a big Tour fan and I think you were living a dream of mine that will probably never come true, following some of the tour, seeing the Caravan go through, enjoying all that in the towns of France.

Have you read georgethecyclist.blogspot.com ? He's a friend of Rick's who rides parts of the routes and his posts are fascinating! So, if you want to keep the tour memories alive check out his blog and scroll down to his tour posts. He's a true character -- camps out between places, has all sort of encounters and is fascinating to read about this event!

I hope all goes well for your friend and that the other diversions this July pay big dividends!

Lisbeth said...

Thank you Tamara for hosting this wonderful event. I found more than ever a lot of diversity from participants. So many interesting posts about Paris and France. I still have to read and comment some of them. I did not have to for everything I would have liked to do, but am happy about the books I got to read.
Hope to see you all next year.

Gudang Informasi said...

thaks this info, paris beautiful city

David James said...

APNA SHOWROOM Bra for Women Combo Pack of 6 Cup Size 34 (B) Non-Wired Multicolor Everyday Cotton Bra Daily use
Cotton bra for women girls ladies bra pack of 6 bra for girls Cup size B 32 B 34 B 36 B non padded bra for girls women woman BRA of cotton colorful bra Apna Showroom
APNA SHOWROOM Bra for Women Combo Pack of 6 Cup Size 36 (B) Non-Wired Multicolor Everyday Cotton Bra Daily use