Monday, July 27, 2026

All the light we cannot see - review for Paris in July

 

From the highly acclaimed, multiple award-winning Anthony Doerr, the stunningly beautiful instant New York Times bestseller about a blind French girl and a German boy whose paths collide in occupied France as both try to survive the devastation of World War II. (Good Reads)



I loved this... which is very unusual for me, as I dont usually enjoy historical fiction or war time novels. However, my love of Paris is for the whole of Paris - including it's difficult history. We all know that its through lifes knocks and difficult times that our character is built... and I believe that it the same for a complex city like Paris... it's rich cultural history is but one of the many influences on its character. War is another... 

Thank you to all my blogging friends, and local friends, who raved about this book.  

I have a very close friend who is blind. He lost his eyesight through a degenerative condition, which means he remembers things he once knew as a younger person. Im frequently astounded that he has such visual recall of our local surounds, and can (far more acuratly) describe things in our city which he has not seen for more than 20 years.. and if we describe changes to him, he will remember them also! 

Marie-Laure's ability to navigate her local surrounds in Paris, and then to learn her new surounds in Saint Malo is amazing.. and I can believe it. But what makes her an endearing character for me, is her curiousity, and stubbornness. She did not hesitate to join the activies of the resistance... blind, young and new to the village - she did not waver in her committment to the cause. 

Werner, the young german boy, was equally endearing. Clever, curious and somewhat emotionally intelligent, he navigated his postiong in the complexity of war with ellegance (in my opinion). I was also learning to appreciate the character of his colleague, Volkheimer. Depicted as a giant of a boy, Volkheimer paid attention to protect Werner throughout their wartime journey, and beyond. 

War, and many difficult events, does create conditions for lasting connections and friendships. 

I wont expose the ending - but I found myself so engrossed in this story, I spent a whole weekend paying attention, concetrating so I could reach the best part - the end of the war!  


1 comment:

NancyElin said...

I had the same reaction....this book has been on my French radar for a log time but never really made any of my reading lists. Thanks for giving me an excellent impression of the book and nudged me closer to reading it!