Saturday, August 10, 2019

Lilac Girls - Book Review

Last month I hosted Paris in July, and I was also swamped with work and other important commitments, so I didn't get the chance to do any of my own posts for Paris in July. So this month I will get a few done, starting with this review.

I took the recommendation to read this from  a list of books for reading during Paris in July published by Mel U at the Reading Life, I'm glad I did, although it's not an easy book to read. A couple of reasons why it wasnt a easy book for me to read.

Firstly, the book tells the story of three different women, which means each chapter is told by each women in turns. I find that style of narration difficult to get engaged with. It took me more than half way through before I was interested enough to finish.

Secondly, the book is based on real life events occuring in Poland, Germany and New York in 1939 when Hitler was invading France & Poland. Thats not an easy subject to read about. Life in Ravenbruck, a women's re-education camp, the only one in Germany.

Thirdly, is was a story about a young female german doctor, who in a time of war, takes a job in the women's re-education camp believing she was doing the right thing for her country. However, she ends up being forced to do unimaginable things. Things that will haunt her for the rest of her days.

But despite being difficult to read, it was in the end, a story of resilience, women's strength and community. Through out, I was distracted by the New York Socialite, Caroline, storyline. But in the end, she was the angel of grace. What was even more inspirational, was that Caroline was one of the real women. After the war, she lead a beautiful movement to help the women who were harmed during the war. 

Thanks Mel U for the recommendation.

2 comments:

Jeanie said...

I have this and as you might know from posts, I always am interested in books taking place in WWII in France or England so I thought this had to be it. And I suspect it will be but for some reason I am finding it a harder read than I thought. I think I "know" what is coming and how difficult it will be to read this. And after the last reading (a few chapters) I started nightmares -- and we're not even to the bad stuff yet. I know I'll finish but I think I have to measure it out in smaller doses till it becomes so compelling I can't put it down.

Harvee said...

I also have this book and have been meaning to get to it. So many positive comments from readers!