Monday, August 24, 2015

Japanese Literature Challenge No 9

 Dolce Bellezza hosts this fantastic literature challenge - now in its 9th year! I've joined for the last 7 years and, now Paris in July is over, I'm collecting my reading for this challenge. The only rule is read at least one work of Japanese Literature between June 2015 and January 2016. That's not hard is it... everyone can join in. The review site here, lists other bloggers review, which offer great suggestions if you haven't got any leads yet. Here, Dolce Bellezza outlines her reading  plans which is also an inspirational list.

This is my list to start with.... 

 recommended by my Kindle store

 here's a review I liked..

 because I love Murakami....

inspired by this review..

My reviews from previous years are all here on this blog, but here's the recent past links

Any other recommendations? 

Join us..

5 comments:

Sharon said...

Oh I will be following with interest, I have been wondering about classic Japanese literature, I have read nothing except Murakami's Wind up bird chronicle, and feel like I have missed out on some significant books. Really interested in what you make of Tanizaki. Maybe since the challenge only requires you to read one work between now and January 2016 I will commit to having ago and give this some thought, challenges have been a great way for me to grow and discover new books.

Ally said...

I have read 3 out of your 4 choices and they are excellent books, especially The elephant vanishes and Audition. Also, I read Some prefer nettles this year and it is a good Tanizaki :)

Mae Travels said...

Hi -- Other than Murakami's new books it's been quite a few years since I read Japanese novels. Maybe I'll get back to it for this challenge. Here's a list of some that I liked in the past -- sorry if you read them in one of the earlier challenges that you didn't link to in this blog post.

Sanshiro by Natsume Soseki (also author of Botchan)
Murder at Mt. Fuji by Shizuko Natsuki (also author of a number of other mystery stories)
The Wild Geese by Ogai Mori
The Makioka Sisters by Junichiro Tanizaki (I think you have already read some by this author)
The Woman in the Dunes by Kobo Abe

I don't count Kazuo Ishiguro (whose work I've read more recently) as a Japanese writer because his parents immigrated to England and brought him along when he was only 5 years old, so his entire education and background are British, not Japanese, and he usually writes about England. Wikipedia (fwiw) lists him as "a British novelist, screenwriter and short story writer."

Jeanie said...

Hi Tamara, I loved the graphics on that "Book of Tokyo" photo. I'm afraid I can't add to the discussion here.

But I did want to say thank you for the birthday greetings. Also, if you are interested in Rick's trip (and i may have told you this but can't remember) check out: https://www.crazyguyonabike.com/doc/?o=tS&doc_id=16494&v=2g -- he's still updating his blog but it's on its way! (Ugly format; I'm trying to talk him into going to blogger!) But yes, he is in love with biking in Canada! I hope you do it sometime and if you do, let me know! I'm not that far if you do Ontario!

@parridhlantern said...

Love both the Murakami's & also like the writing of Tanizaki so be interested on what you make of them.