Tuesday, March 14, 2017

Changing seasons

A few of the summer franginani are hanging on...

Summer herbs (basil) are thinking its time to flower and seed

And broccoli are coming into fruit with the changing night temperatures. 

Its March, and in the Southern Hemisphere, were moving into autumn. I love all our seasons, but Spring and Autumn are my favourites... they mark a change, a period of preparation. As a project manager, and a big picture thinker, these periods of preparation are important for me in both my professional life and personal. 

Its just three and a half weeks since my hip replacement surgery and, now well and truly over the hardest part, I'm feeling like my last few weeks of leave from work, and rehab period, are about preparing me for the next season... one were I can enjoy walking and riding and gardening again.. pain free, drug free. All the indications are good, but still diligence is required to ensure I comply with best practice in healing and rebuilding strength. 

While at home, I've been watching and reflecting on my garden, and its potential. This changing of the season means thinking about food, nourishment and preparing the garden for winter. I'm coaching my partner in order to get the winter veggies planted (as I can't bend over yet). We're motivated to get more food out the garden this year. Last year was really hampered by my physical capabilities. 


On our list of winter plantings are rhubarb, beans, spinach, kale, beetroot, leaks, and maybe even try out luck at potatoes this year.

So, what season are you in? And what does it mean for you? I'd love to hear your thoughts..

6 comments:

Lisbeth said...

What a lovely garden, and how well you tkae care of it. Our garden gets more care from my father when he visits two times a year. I do live the garden, but back problems make it difficult to do anything. The gardens here in Europe are not as exotic as yours are.
I am happy to hear that you are moveable again.

Nadia said...

Love your photos! So much green and freshness, you can't help but smile. Here is the US, we are in spring. Although in some parts its still winter - or at least it feels like it with all the snow. I'm in the south so it is HOT HOT HOT already. Hope you are having a wonderful week!!

Jeanie said...

I'm so glad to hear you are healing well and moving forward. I know that the physical therapy and all will be a big help as well but you are on your way to a new you!

I love your garden. We are in the tail end of winter -- still bitter cold but with the promise of spring (an earlier warm spell brought up the tip of spring daffodils.) I'm looking forward to getting in spinach and lettuce and peas. Winter isn't my favorite season but it has been light this year. But I'm really looking forward to seeing the flowering trees in another month or two!

Keep on getting well!

Bellezza said...

I didn't know you had hip surgery! And here I am dreading more issues with my teeth. I'm glad you're recovering, and I loved the photographs of your plants. We are getting ready for Spring here in Illinois, but as I embark on Spring Break tomorrow, I face a week of pure rain. Perfect for reading, in my opinion.

Tamara said...

Thank you all for your comments and sentiments of support. Im encouraged that you liked my gardening photos... I'll do more gardening posts.

Jack said...

You know I have always wanted a house at the beach it would be a dream come true and some of these pictures are the reason why, thanks for sharing them with us.