Tuesday, June 7, 2016

Books, Rain & Lights

Winter is settling in, the rain is falling, the heater's on, and we've experienced some of the worst winter can offer this past weekend. It's going to be another week where I cant really get on my bike and cant really spend time in the garden. So, it's time for a little review of my reading journey over the past few months... it's a sad story, but I feel telling it will help me move on.


I've been trying to read 'A Little Life' by Hanya Yanagihara. I had great intentions to read this because it had some great reviews, it was short listed for the Man Brooker Prize. I downloaded it onto my Kindle and started reading. I felt like I was getting into it, and each week tried to read a little bit more. My kindle said I was progressing in 5% increments.  It wasn't really engaging me, probably becuase I wasn't reading it consistently. Then on the train one day, I noticed someone reading the real book. It's HUGE! I would never have chosen that off the shelf.

Anyway, I woke up this week to realise it's June, and I've been trying to read this book for 6 months! As a wise friend (or many) has said, you dont have to finish every book. So I'm not going to.

Has anyone else read the book? Was it good?

I've got two other books on the go, and I'm enjoying them.

Helen Garner's "Everywhere I Look" - it's a collection of essays,diary entries and true stories spanning more than 15 yearsof the work of one of Australia's greatest writers.

and "Walking Towards Ourselves: Indian Women Tell Their Stories" edited by Catriona Mitchell. Reaching across different strata of society, religion and language, this anthology creates a kaleidescopeof distinct and varied real life stories.

Just for something beautiful, here's the sydney opera house in lights for the vivid festival. We went in the midst of the storm but it was still beautiful.



4 comments:

JoAnn said...

There was so much buzz about this book... and I understand it's a difficult, emotional read. In the end, the negative reviews convinced me that it just wasn't worth it. I've decided to give it a pass.

Tamara said...

JOann, it seems its a love it or hate it book. Those who have read it, and liked it, say they couldnt put it down... not my experience.

Jeanie said...

Oh, that opera house is beautiful! And it's OK not to finish a book. Life is too short for books that don't gel no matter what the buzz!

Tamara said...

Yes, the opera house is amazing. Google Vivid Sydney to see more. This display on the opera house was a moving display designed by aboriginal artists.